Total Page Views

Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Want Candy

Yes, I blog on Saturday's too!

I actually wasn't going to blog today, but a good friend of mine inspired me by misunderstanding a facebook status update. Before I begin this topic, which as always is up for debate, here is what was said....


Alright, so on the surface I can understand how that would sound like I'm saying don't try to get things you want because you won't get them. But of course, that's entirely NOT what I meant.


I'll use a classic example of what this refers to. Let's say a man has a dream to become a world champion runner in the olympics. But one day, he's in a horrific car accident and loses the ability to lose his legs. Realistically, he will never become that olympic champion so if he makes that his goal in life he'll only find himself disappointed and bitter. However, if he levels his goal and uses modern technology with the belief that one day he will be able to walk again - well, that is a goal worth fighting for. He never got his initial dream, but perhaps his ability to walk using modern technology in prosthetic has made him happy. Do you consider this 'giving up'?

On a more personal level, it has always been my dream to write music for movies. I have never given up completely on that dream, but I have placed it on the back burner because in my heart I know how unlikely it is. The percentage of composers who make it big in the film industry is very small, and let's face it - I live in Indiana, with 0 connections in California. I would love nothing more for that to be my job some day, but I have to think rationally about this. I have come to conclusion that I am not going to pursue that dream full-steam, rather I am in college getting a degree in what I love - and what will result in many different options. Maybe some day someone in Hollywood will notice my music and give me the call, but for now - what I am doing is making me happy. Does that mean I 'gave up'?



Speaking of giving up, I have given up on any possibility that I will ever be able to trust our president. In recent news, it seems that several top officials of the Taliban, the terrorist organization responsible for 9/11, in exchange for arranging peace negotiations in Qatar. Perhaps I don't understand all of the political mumbo jumbo in this, but the two words that stand out are 'peace' and 'terrorist'. Aren't those words an oxymoron (key root being MORON)? Have we forgotten what happened ten and a half years ago?

Anyway, if you'd like to read more on this issue you may do so here.

Well, I finally went out and bought what I've been wanting to buy for several months now: A Larger Computer Monitor. I got an Acer 23 inch that was on sale with $50 off the regular price at best buy. It was still pretty expensive, but I consider this a smart purchase because it will enhance my ability to write music.



I know the picture doesn't make it look like anything spectacular, but I can see at least 8 more staves now and it makes have to skip across the page a lot less when adding music. It will be particularly helpful for larger scores.


damn you auto correct funny iphone fails and blunders


Didn't laugh at the 'penetration' part nearly as much as I did at the 'Good N Plenty' part. Do they still make good n plenty? That was such a disgusting candy. How many people actually remember that? I know it was pretty popular in the 80's and early 90's. I used to get pissed when I went trick or treating and people would throw that brown, pink, white candy in my bag.



Speaking of forgotten candy bars: What about Whatchamacallits (HOLY CRAP! You that's a legit word because google chrome didn't recognize it as a spelling error!)?



I never really bought those candy bars, but you have to admit - I did remember what they were called. That's a smart advertising plan right there. I feel like they could market these candy bars again, and people would buy them in bulk.

It's also bad that I vaguely remember the commercial jingle that would should during EVERY FREAKIN COMMERCIAL BREAK. I couldn't have sang it until I searched for it on youtube. Thanks, youtube, for once again bringing possibly the most annoying commercial jingle back into my life. But hey - I was the one that did the searching - no one to blame but myself!


Ahhhhh the 80's. I was pretty young, but I still remember quite a bit. Also because the 80's fads bled through to the 90's for a few years. I was highly disappointed when running a name-that-tune game with my residents the other day that everyone knew the song 'can't touch this' but the four of this particular group couldn't remember who sang it. Perhaps we should bring back 'hammer time' and make it popular again!


That was a legitimate sign defacing on Jennifer's street that was worth my time to take a picture of. This is what happens when unemployment is high and people have nothing more to do with their time....

Well, that does it for today. Much more ample blog than yesterday, and I hope you enjoyed reading. And now, to finish my 80's rant a video you won't want to miss! How many do YOU remember??

No comments:

Post a Comment