Total Page Views

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life


Spring is almost here, and that is a very beautiful thing. I'm not a huge fan of cold weather, or rainy weather for that matter, but the fact that the temperatures are going back up is definitely a good thing. Generally, the weather is a major influential factor on my mood and the ability for me to get things accomplished on a regular basis. And thanks to my trusty Desktop Weather program, I can instantly check the weather on my computer before leaving for the day. They also made some major modifications, and it is a lot more user friendly.



Of course, part of their modifications didn't include getting rid of those pesky ads. But I guess they have to stay in business somehow.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 marks the first day of the year in which I dusted off the shorts. This made me very happy, as I am a shorts and t-shirt kind of person. The good weather is also great because I will actually be motivated to get outside and be more active. I'm not a gym kind of person, but I do enjoy playing sports. Last summer, I spent much of the time playing Tennis and Volleyball. I'm hoping to pick that up.


Speaking of sports, it appears that the Louisville Cardinals have found their mojo and have muscled through a Big East tournament championship and are currently one of the sixteen teams that will be playing in the NCAA tournament next week. I will admit, at one point in the season I had lost my high expectations for this team. I honorably retract any negative statements I may have made, as they have really proven their own and no matter what happens, I will be proud of this team.



Louisville plays Michigan St. next thursday in the sweet sixteen. The last time the cards played the spartans, it ended in an unfortunate poor shooting night in the elite 8 and Louisville missed out on their ninth final four appearance.

Remember the Hoosiers? Indiana, who has been MIA for several years since the scandalous play of Kevin Sampson, has returned to the national stage and has also earned a spot in the Sweet 16. Hoosier Hysteria has returned to this part of the country, and the Hoosiers have a chance at doing the impossible: Beating a very good Kentucky team for the second time this season. I like their chances, though Kentucky looks very scary and is easily the favorite to win the tournament. However, this week we saw two number 2 seeds fall in the first round to Norfolk State and LeHigh - an indication that the madness has begun, and the trophy can belong to anyone. Good luck to both Louisville and IU, my two schools!


Oh Peyton! Manning, the 4 time MVP and former Indianapolis Colt (Screw you, Jim Irsay), has become the golden calf of college football. It seems that so many teams are worshiping the ground he walks on, despite the fact that he poses an increasing risk to whatever team he chooses. The Colts learned very quickly the cons of building an entire program around one player. It's like using a block of ice to support the walls of a house. Once the ice melts, the entire house collapses. Ok, perhaps that wasn't the best analogy - but the broncos have offered Manning a 90 million dollar contract. The titans have said they would give him a lifetime contract. LIFETIME? Is there even a buyout on a lifetime contract...if so, what would it be? I've heard it would basically make Manning have part controlling ownership in the franchise. That's great, but one question remains. What if he takes another strong hit? The guy just had neck surgery, he hasn't been on the field in over a year.


Perhaps its just sour grapes. I wish Manning the best, with whatever program he goes to. I just hope to GOD he doesn't go to the Titans.

I have not yet abandoned the notion that I could be exiting this semester with the glorious 4.0 I've been wanting since I came here. Though some events in February set me back slightly, I choose not to let some excuses become the reasoning for my shortcomings. Lately, I've been feeling a surge of energy and I've been putting into many of my responsibilities: Including my work as a Community Advisor for the IU Southeast Lodges.

As far as my grades go, I am teetering on a B+ in just about all of my classes. This makes the rest of this month and April a very crucial time for me, in which I intend to spend a lot of time with my nose to the grindstone in my studies.


I found this especially humorous as someone that is guilty of the 'hidden texting' violation. To be fair, its actually 'hidden facebooking'. Perhaps I have an addiction?



Minimalists meet math nerds. Gotta love it.

I managed to land a gig for next week. I never get gigs, but I guess since I chose to announce to the world that I am a trombone player and hide my euphonium playing abilities the same way I would a rebel child, then people will tend to add me to their summoning list. It was Brent "Rusty" Crimm who landed me the gig, and I will be playing with a high school show choir from Oldham County. I've looked at the music, and for a person who has only been playing trombone for a year and a half since storing the instrument in the closet some eight years ago - it is not very easy. The music is also jazzy, which is something I hung in the closet and haven't pulled back out yet.


Damn straight.

Aside from my busy schedule with gigs, ensembles, schoolwork, and CA I've also collected a variety of musical projects for the upcoming year. Currently, I am nearing completion of my composition for Alto Sax, Tuba, Timpani, and Piano. Plans fell through to have the work performed at the New Music Concert on April 16, however I am pushing to get it premiered in the fall. Also in the fall will be the debut of my Orchestration abilities as a piece I am writing for the Orchestra will be premiered. Then, on March 17 of 2013, I am anticipating a spectacular senior recital. I also make things larger than they need to be, so expectations will probably be high for this concert. And of course I am looking forward to it!

It is safe to say that things are going wonderfully for me! I have fought off doubt, and irrational decisions to better my world and the road is going nowhere but up. It definitely is a great place to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment