Total Page Views

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Hat Trick of Social Taboos

While I may never fully recover from the events that unfolded in early February, I have to say that I have bounced back with furious energy and things are going great right now. In fact, things have gotten so back on track that when I visited my therapist the other day, I really didn't have many negative things to say. Instead, we resorted to a religious discussion focused on the legitimacy of the Holy Bible. This discussion came into play when I had expressed difficulties within my own faith resulting from some of the Anxiety attacks I had. After a lot of processing and analyzing, I came to a solid conclusion I can live comfortably with. There is a God, but there is not one religion that is 100% accurate - or if there is, there's no real way to tell who it is. Frankly, if the God is as loving as I hope he is I really can't see him treating the massive amounts of religions and denomination of religions like one big shell game - and the winner goes to Heaven. That's just not very settling.

As far as the Bible goes - its a great book. I have no quarrels with the Bible. However, I take a more metaphorical approach to it. The stories in the book, particularly in the old testament, may or may not be true. But that doesn't mean there aren't good messages behind them. Moses may or may not have been the author (under the guidance of God) of the ten commandments, and stood on a mountain top condemning those who broke them. But does that mean the rules are flawed and we shouldn't at least attempt to follow them?

The Bible, whether you believe in God or not, is a good and noble book to live life by. Not everything in it may be squeaky clean, but the general messages of love and forgiveness are built on morals human's have the capabilities of possessing. The problems occur when people either misunderstand what is written, and false quote it. (Yes, I'm talking to you hilltop evangelists who believe that somewhere in Hebrews it reads 'God Hate Sin'. I looked it up, in 3 different versions. You are wrong).

It should also be important to note that I do not claim to be 100% right in this belief. And if I'm wrong, may God have mercy on my soul. But I think the most important message is Love. Not punishment. Not hate. Not homosexuality. Not any of those 'hot button' topics people love to stir religious debates over. As much as some people don't like John Lennon for his personal lifestyle choices, he did have one thing right when he said "All You Need is Love".

Anyway, that is my soapbox speech of the day. How about a picture?


I laughed for a solid five minutes when I saw this.

So, as the Coordinator of Bands for the IU Southeast annual Rock Fight I am happy to say that I've managed to nab about six bands to battle it out for the prize on April 13. This should be a great event, so if you aren't doing anything - might as well stop in, right?



Can we say OWNED?

I really shouldn't talk politics in a blog where I've already talked about religion, but I guess if I make sure to mention the Great Pumpkin then I've pulled the hat trick of social taboo's.

It appears that Mitt Romney is the alleged front runner of the republican primaries. Or as Rush suggests "Conventional Wisdom says he will be the nominee." I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. I haven't watched the debates or read much from media outlets (which is probably a good thing), and the only thing I know is what I've heard from friends. But it seems to me, the one that I feel would be best for this country is Ron Paul. Not only is he sincere, but he appears to genuinely care about the middle class - and not necessarily at the expensive of people that happen to make a lot of money. He recognizes serious problems within the Government...problems that Americans are either too proud or too scared to admit.

Ron Paul...2012.

Humpday Picdump Banned In Hollywood 791 Banneds Humpday Picdump (133 Pictures)

You gotta admire the creativity!

Well that's it for today. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment