Total Page Views

Friday, February 17, 2012

Simpsons, Record-Breaking Attendance, and a Multi-Cultural Mario


Thank Goodness Its Friday. Speaking of, does anyone remember that TV line-up? It was one of the greatest things ever. Every Friday night, when I had the WHOLE W
EEKEND to do my homework my siblings and I would watch a hilarious arrangement of television shows that included a variety of shows (which changed every year) such as Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, Boy Meets World, and Dinosaurs.

Not too many people remember Dinosaurs. I don't think its even aired on TV anymore. And probably the reason why people don't remember it is because it went 'extinct' after just three seasons. Did ya...did ya see what I did there? Did ya?

I loved the show, though. However, I've loved Dinosaurs since I knew what they were. I got '8-year old boy' excited when I found out that they taught a class just on Dinosaurs here at IUS. This has to be one of the greatest ideas for a class EVER. I'm definitely going to try and sign up for it, but I've heard its a tough class to get into.


Yes, the Simpsons will be airing their famed 500th episode on Sunday night. That is BEYOND ridiculous. I had just gotten off of training wheels when the Simpsons were first introduced to the world.

My brother, Paul, had this to say.....


You know, he's probably right about Mario. That's the scary thing. But let's put a little perspective on this. Technically, the Simpsons have been in existence since April 19, 1987. So what was going on in the world in 1987?

1. Ronald Reagan was president.
2. Michael Jackson was black.
3. If you left your house, no one had any way to get a hold of you.
4. The Soviet Union still existed
5. Eddie Sutton was UK's basketball coach
6. Mike Krzyzewski was Duke's basketball coach.....oh....wait
7. Drew Barrymore was still in her adolescence.
8. Madonna was popular.
9. People knew who Paul McCartney is.
10. People didn't know who Justin Bieber would be

Ok....I got a little carried away there. But yeah...1987...that was a long time ago. 500 episodes? Seems like a lot.....but sesame street has 4,300. I'm not sure Matt Groening will be able to live long enough to see the Simpsons get that many. Plus, while the characters don't have to die - the voice actors do. And in a world where people prize a girl that sleeps on a dog bed because she's too drunk to make it to her actual bed, I'm not sure I'd want to see the Simpsons recast. Would you be ok with Justin Timberlake as the voice of 'Bart Simpson'?



Nope....Nancy is still the best.

So the attendance numbers to the world premiere of 'Fantasy on an American Folk Hymn' have been released. Aside from the fact they broke a record for IU Southeast Concert Band fall attendance, it turns out there were over 300 people in attendance to see the premiere! That, of course, is exciting news to hear if you are a composer trying to get his foot in the door. Although, I feel it appropriate at this time to send a message to all of my friends, family, and supporters regarding this achievement. So, from the bottom of my heart......


Did you miss the performance? Well, that's ok.....because I threw together a video with the performance by the Concert Band playing the composition. The video its self is pretty unorganized with random pictures, so you can just ignore that and listen to the music.

My grades took a slight dive this past week, but due to the circumstances that unfolded previously I am not all that upset. It was actually just a few tests that I managed to score in the 70% area, in which I'm use to receiving B's or above. I did, however, get a 100% on my ear training test. I may suck at Geography and French, but at least I have good ears!

Don’t Be A Racist!

OK, this made me laugh - but particularly because of a discussion I had with someone earlier. I apologize if anyone gets offended by it.

So, in other good news I am happy to say that my application to the Pinnacle Honor Society was accepted. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but its a good indication that I've come a LOOOONG way from being a grade "C" teenager with little control of my life, and virtually no idea which direction I was headed. I may get bitter, sarcastic, and voice opinions that piss people off - but I guess the point of all this is that I am trying my hardest to be more concerned with whats best for myself, and not let people walk over me like they have once before. I am comfortable enough to say that I am in the right place.









No comments:

Post a Comment