Total Page Views

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Three M's: Manning, Memphis, Mayans


Manning Fever has officially swept the nation. In case you live under a rock (or just don't watch the NFL) it seems that Peyton Manning's days with the Colts are numbered. Just to keep you up to speed, after an unfortunate neck surgery that put Manning's career on hiatus, and left the 4-time MVP and 2007 Superbowl Champion Quarterback with a questionable future, it seems that Colts owner Jim Irsay has been more concerned with picking up Andrew Luck, the top college QB, then he has been ensuring Manning's comfortable return to the Colts offense. I'm no financial genius, and had I ever taken an accounting class I'm sure I would fail - but I can't seem to figure how the Colts would be able to afford a contract with both the No. 1 draft pick and Peyton Manning. I'm sorry Colts fans, but if you really think it was ever Irsay's plan to have Luck act as Manning's 'apprentice' for a few years obviously you do not know Andrew Luck very well.


If you are the kind of person that believes historical statistics have a lot of value on current events, then you may be happy to know that the last time the Colts nabbed the Number 1 draft pick it was none other than - Peyton Manning. So perhaps drafting Luck is a good thing, especially with former Football Coaches and now Analysts such as Mike Ditka claiming that Luck is on the same level that Manning was in 1997.

The question that remains, how good would Luck be with a team that went 2-14 without their starting Quarterback? One thing that has made Peyton so great is that the team plays much different when he is on the field. He works very hard both offensively, but also defensively. I have not seeing Stanford play at all last season, so I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to try and analyze how well Luck would play.

My guess, as much as I hate to admit it, is that Manning will not be a Colt next season. So the question remains...where will he go?

In other sporting news, it seems that Memphis is joining the Big East. Three words comes to mind regarding this transition: It's About Time. I wonder if Rick Pitino is throwing a party that the Big East actually took a suggestion he made years ago seriously. Just keep him away from Restaurants and everything should be fine....

But seriously, someone made the comment about how Memphis' move made them want Louisville to join the Big 12 even more? Why? Memphis is a good sports program, and Louisville once had a really good rivalry with them. I'm very happy that this rivalry is going to be restored, and I think Memphis is a great fit for the Big East. The Big East is also adding Boise State, Navy, San Diego State, Houston, SMU and Central Florida in coming years. This means by 2015 the Big East will be 12 schools, and the dreams of having a conference championship will come true. Unless some other jackass AD decides to escape, or the Mayans were right.


Speaking of the Mayans, where will you be when their long count calendar ends on the 21st of December? Or is the the 23rd? Either way, I will probably spend most of that week cowering under my bed with a baseball bat. I'm not afraid that the world is going to end, because realistically if it is, is there anything I can do about it? I'm more terrified about how humanity typically reacts to these sorts of things. We saw the uproar there was over Y2K, I can only imagine this being worse.

My true thoughts on the 2012 prophecy? I'd rather believe its not going to happen and be wrong, then to believe it IS going to happen and be wrong. If I'm wrong about it actually happening, then I have to live with the thought that I freaked out about nothing.

But maybe just in case, I'll hire John Cusack as a limo driver.



If you like new music, and are interested in hearing some wonderful never before performed compositions then put the date April 16, 2012 at 8 PM on your calendar. That is the date of the first ever IU Southeast Student Composers Concert. It should be a really good show, so try and make it out!

That's all for today. As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment